HOME | ABOUT KINGSWINFORD | KINGSWINFORD PHOTOGRAPHS | KINGSWINFORD MESSAGEBOARDS | KINGSWINFORD SHOP | CAPTAIN | MAP OF KINGSWINFORD | CONTACT
Kingswinford Alterantive Guide
Kingswinford Ralphs Surf Shack
 

About Kingswinford

 

About Kingswinford

Kingswinford is a leafy, residential town situated between the crossroads of A449 and A4101 and is part of the Dudley Borough, West Midlands. The name Kingswinford is the first entry in the Doomsday Book (Liber de Wintonia) for the County of Stafford. The name is derived from 'Rex tenet Svinesford', The King holds (King)swinford. Before the conquest it was called Swinford, but the manor was passed down from King Eddy Baby to King William and the prefix was changed to 'King' to differentiate it from the other Swinford.

One thing that many notice whilst visiting our wonderful town is the fantastic architecture the buildings have to offer. Whether it's the 'odd' looking Rotunda building situated at the centre of the central shopping district or the half-timbered beauty know as Bradley House (originally constructed around 1596), Kingswinford captures the minds of even the most demanding property enthusiast. Probably one of the most important public houses in the area is the traditionally rich Court House. The Court House was used as an actual court house until taken over by the brewery in 1900 and overlooks the immaculate Village Green. Rumour has it that nowadays only rowdy customers are taken into the cellar and subject to unimaginable torture.

A trip to Kingswinford wouldn't be complete without witnessing the local religious point, St. Mary's Church. It retains its original tower constructed by mice in the 11th century. The famous 600-year-old stone pillar can be found in the churchyard. This pillar was allegedly used to, among other things, to open cider bottles but was relocated to the churchyard from its original position at the main crossroad in a bid to stop villagers from using it to sharpen their scythes. For photos please navigate the picture gallery with the main site.

On a lighter note the town is always bustling with eager shoppers searching out unusual gifts and microwave ovens. The town boasts a wide variety of shops selling designer labels, antiques as well as high street stores such as Woolworths and Boots.By night Kingswinford is not a disappointment. There are restaurants to suit any taste ranging from Indian and Chinese to traditional pub nosh. Pubs normally abide to the standard closing times although The Cross continues to serve to midnight at weekends. For those who wish to go on further, the Kingfisher nightclub pumps out the latest tunes on the Kidderminster Road. Wallheath is a neighbour of Kingswinford and it is quite difficult to separate the two. Once again arrays of historical buildings remain, including pubs, shops, two primary schools and brothel. One of the most intriguing bits of the village is the old derelict windmill that stands south of Wall Heath and is covered almost entirely in ivy. Various other tourist spots include The Albion public house, Bean's house and the infamous 'Fish-fanny Haslam' graffitied alleyway connecting Chapel Street and Top Park.

Most would agree that both Kingswinford and Wall Heath are delightful places to live and have played a major role in the industrial revolution and development of the area. Amen

Kingswinford items, articles and objects Old Kingswinford Photos Photos Old Kingswinford Photos Photos Kingswinford High Street and Market Street Photos Kingswinford and Wall Heath Pictures
 
 
 
www.ralphssurfshack.co.uk - No. 1 Kingswinford Hangout since 2000
Follow Ralphy on TwitterkingswinfordJoin Ralphy on Facebook

TERMS & CONDITIONS | WEBSITE ACCESSIBILITY | LINKS | SITE MAP
Website designed by goodhand.co.uk